Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Zander's 2nd Day








Zander had an exciting second day. He had his first wet diaper (the flood gates opened and his entire diaper, swaddling blankets, and sheet were all VERY wet), his first bath (he loved having his hair washed), first visitors (outside of Erik and Aiden), hearing test, and blood work.

When Zander was born, my placenta was sent to pathology because it was a different shape than usual; it was hourglass shaped. The results on that front were not a problem, but they found that my placenta had an infection. Zander was thus given a blood test to see if he had an infection. He had elevated white blood cell bands; this means that his body was ramping up to fight an infection. He was thus put on a course of antibiotics. He also had highish billirubin (sp?)...jaundice. They're rechecking his blood today to see if he will require more care. If his white blood cell bands are still high, he will not be released yet. As this is the day I'm being released, I would stay with him in pediatrics, but not as a patient. Let's hope he's very healthy!!!

While Erik took Zander to get his blood work done, I was able to spend some time with Aiden. Aiden however, was very concerned that the nurse was "taking his baby." After a moment, Aiden was happy to play with mama. Aiden and I colored, sang, and took "rides" on my hospital bed--moving it up and down. I miss him!!!! I know this going to be a huge transition for everyone!

Zander didn't particularly enjoy his bath--he cried a lot. He did, however, seem to enjoy having his hair washed. He was very quiet during it. He smells so good--I love the smell of Johnson's Baby Wash!!!!

Some friends visited today--Johana, and her 4 girls. Johana was my sister-in-law, Alix's, college roommate. When we were moving up here, Alix introduced us. It is great to have friends so quickly when you move to a new area! Johana is a La Leche League Leader--what a great help!!! Her girls were disapointed that they didn't get to see big brother Aiden (he was at home napping), but they were very cute and excited about Zander. They were so amazing with Zander!!!

P.S. Zander's hearing test was fine!

2 comments:

  1. The baby is precious!! Jaundice is super hard to deal with! Preston had jaundice and it was so sad to see our little one under the lights...but he healed and we got through it! I hope little Zander does well! Congratulations! Love, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video...don't you love how a toddler gets done with a baby and just lets go. We had to remind Kirsten to tell us when she was done holding Anna, not just drop her. I hope Zander gets to go home with you! I will keep him in my prayers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete